With a week already on the road I’ve become well aware of a few (plus) things. THE question of course is where is the best place to live/retire? But for now, I’d like to point out a few things that made me think over the last week.
- I’m so glad to get to travel now (and before). It’s getting way harder to move around every few days where before it wasn’t an issue. I’ve met seniors over my years of travel though and now I’m wondering if they were magic people.
- There’s a lot of places for expats to live down south. I’m currently in Mexico, but there are so many choices.
- It becomes expensive when you move around.
- It’s still way cheaper than home and/or going on a tour.
- You lose weight verrrrry quickly down here.
The last week has been spent traveling 4 cities/towns. Mexico City where I landed, onwards to Taxco, onto Patzcuaro and now currently in Guadalajara. Generally you don’t need more than a few days to get a feel of whether the place would be a great place to live or not, but more on this to come later.
The days are spent exploring and looking around (or on the bus, a 12 hour birthday ride including multiple city transfers was a great adventure) and nights are spent indoors. Finding a schedule to work with has been a little tricky, but rising early and going to bed early has been the choice for the last week.
Cost wise things have been a little more expensive than last October and January, but more on that later as well.
United lost my luggage and sent it to L.A. and then San Diego before Mexico so I got $100 credit which was nice. Not as much as last year when Delta pulled my bag to check for drugs, but it’s still a nice gesture.
And as for the weight? Most days I usually only sit down for one meal and I feel like my stomach has shrunk which is too bad. I love the food down here but it’s not always easy to find or safe to eat so I’ve made do with what I can get.
With 1 week down though it’s been quite an adventure. Photos yes, not as many as I would like but that’s life.
Stay tuned for my run in with a group tour and the best routes to take in Mexico. And of course…retirement.
Photo can be found here. I’ve been to Los Belles Artes many times but for some reason I don’t have a lot of photos…